Sunday 25 January 2009

"Gregor Samsa awoke one morning to discover that he had been transformed into a giant cockroach." Nah, it's too good.

The Bees' nine match unbeaten run comes to an end. Grr. A repeat viewing last night has confirmed that Wall E was my film of 2008, a year in which I saw more new films at the cinema than any other. And Okami is ace.

It's been a mental week, and a funny time in general over at uni. After the assessments we had a week of films. After Closer was Glengarry Glen Ross, which was bloody brilliant, but I'll have to see it again as the whole audience was jabbering away and I could hardly hear a thing.

Next up was Oh! What a Lovely War. Fortunately the people who had turned up for no reason buggered off and people who actually wanted to watch the film could enjoy it. It's an interesting adaptation; while the musical can't visually realise the grit and mud and blood, the film is able to, making it seem more poignant somehow. The genius use of Brighton pier and the image of the golden age of the grand British day out was cinematically pleasing- I think Attenborough used something similar recently in a film of Joseph, setting it in a school. In a funny way it reminded me of the film of Pink Floyd The Wall and I can't now remember why. It did definately serve to poke the national blind spot I think we have concerning the Great War.

After that was the utterly superb Licking Hitler- again mostly unheard thanks to the audience participation, but thought-provoking (the morality of propaganda is always fascinating) and brilliantly acted. It did, however, make me want to watch Where Eagles Dare again. Then we had the Shakespeare Retold adaptation of Much Ado, which was far superior to the hateful play. I've borrowed the DVD off a chum to watch the rest of them.

Last week was manic. One week to devise a performance, our stimulus being Amerika by Kafka. Intense physical work with the group every day, constantly finding ways to stage set pieces, places, journeys, chases, it was quite exhausting. All the groups performances were successful and very impressive. The Legendary Mitch guided us well and I'm really looking forward to working with him over the next semester. And now it's all over, and I've got two weeks to read and relax in my BIG CHAIR, after finishing off the YAT Drama Festival on Friday.

No comments: